Friday, January 11, 2008

Science Makes Front Page News In Spokane

Someone once pointed out to me that Seattle is the most educated city in the country. This may be true, but when is the last time you saw SCIENCE on the front page of Seattle's major newspaper? You must look to the other side of the state - where cougars live and snow sticks around for weeks... I've already found a way to be proud of my temporary hometown of Spokane.


Not only did SCIENCE make it to the vaulted pages of the Spokesman Review, it came with the hottest accessory for the lab these days: colored safety goggles. Someone should remind Dr. Pink that the pencil she is absent-mindedly about to put in her mouth could be contaminated with liquid C. The photo accompanied an article about the impending showdown about the No Child Left Behind legislation that President Bush wants to carve into stone tablets. All I have to say is, "Hooray SCIENCE!"

I am not kidding: this was 8 inches wide and above the fold on Friday's paper.

2 comments:

Dan Haley said...

I really enjoy reading your blog, and have been reading it for a few months now. While most of the science subject matter goes over my head, you have a nice writing style to read, so when you do write about things I'm interested in it makes it that much more enjoyable. That said, this post hits close to home - Spokane that is. I'm glad you are enjoying your time here, although I don't remember you saying why it is that you are visiting. Hopefully you aren't having to shovel too much snow.

Have you ever read Wil Wheaton's blog? I put the two of you in the same category even though the subject matter is completely different. Blogs I enjoy reading because of the author's viewpoint and storytelling ability as opposed to completely 'getting' all the content.

Keep up the good work! :)

thomas robey said...

Thanks for your kind words. I will look up Wheaton's blog here in a bit.

The reason I am in Spokane is to do 8 weeks of an internal medicine rotation. Then after 4 weeks at Seattle's Harborview hospital, I will return to Spokane for a surgery clerkship.

Here are some details.