So the issues that strike me as important in a post about the new Nathan's champion include:
- The consequences derived from equating competitive eating with American freedom.
- The attention (including my own) placed on this event.
- This was televised live with color commentary on ESPN.
- The distraction this is from real problems of hunger and resource disparity in the world, and
- A medical condition called Boerhaave's syndrome
The condition is associated with high morbidity and mortality and is fatal in the absence of therapy.Treatment is surgical repair.
I am sure my sister will complain that I even turn a simple story about hot dogs into some nerdy scientific explanation. Sorry, kiddo.