Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Water for $4.00 a Gallon!

This past weekend, as many as 15 motorists in Seattle filled up their tanks with water-contaminated fuel. Evidently 500 gallons of water found a way into the Shell-supplied Safeway gasoline at a few stations around town... No one is sure how this happened. Greedy middleman? Honest mistake? Maniacal anarchist? Each seems a possibility to me in this passive-aggressive, economy-conscious, WTO-rioting city. But my favorite part of the story is a quote from one of the afflicted drivers:
"I didn't think I'd pay $4 a gallon for water," Fitts said. "But I didn't think I'd be paying $4 for gas, either."
Um. Wake up Mr. Fitts!!! That case of bottled water in the back of the SUV you were driving your kids to the hardware store in? I bet that water cost more than $4 a gallon...

By the way, gasoline is so expensive in Alaska that they don't even bother putting the price up on the station marquees. This weekend, I paid between $4.15 and $4.75.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try living in Chicago. We are paying that ALL THE TIME. It is terrible.