Monday, May 05, 2008

Thinking Back On The Lab

My wife tells me I'm a hypocrite because I like reading PhysioProf's posts at his blog and at DrugMonkey. Those familiar with both PhysioProf and me immediately will know why. For everyone else: foul language usually makes me cringe.

One of the reasons I like reading his blog is that his insight reveals a connection with science, teaching and mentorship that I resepect. Exhibit A:
[One] thing to keep in mind ... is that by the time you reach the end-game of grad school, are finishing up the last few experiments, and are beginning to write the thesis, it is highly likely that you will be pretty much completely disgusted with the science underlying your project, life in the laboratory, and science as a career. This state of mind is a natural consequence of the grueling process of earning your PhD, and does not reveal anything particularly salient about how you really feel about a life in science.

It is similar to how Army recruits feel at the end of basic training: drained, exhausted, miserable, and wanting to quit. But this is no time to make life-altering decisions, such as leaving science for some other profession. As soon as the thesis is accepted, a huge weight lifts, and over the course of a few months, you begin to remember the joys of a life in science.

He sure hit the nail squarely, here. Except for one thing.

I'll let you know when the weight lifts.

2 comments:

manganese said...

I'm still waiting too... of course I haven't exactly left the environment I was in during grad school, have I?

Anonymous said...

Hey, dude! I'm glad to see that you have not allowed your pre-existing ideas about profanity to interfere with your ability to hear what I have to say.

Huzzah for you!