Tuesday, October 09, 2007

People That Give Me Papers

I like people that give me scientific and medical papers to help me learn about diseases.

So I think it's the PhD training, but for some reason I've developed this affinity for the dense prose of academic journals. I might actually learn well from reading (and dissecting) them. Anyone in my entering medical school class could attest to the strong correlation in me between lectures and drool, so I know the classroom's not the best way for me to learn. I've always been a tinkerer, so being on the wards and actually doing stuff works for me. But how to learn about the umpteen diseases I actually will not see this year? Maybe journal articles...

On the other side, I bet the people giving me these papers already think they are good - it's a built-in screen for quality. I bet there are a bunch out there that I might not learn so well from. I do not remember primary literature playing any role in the first two years of medical school. I wonder if my colleagues learn this way.

No comments: