- How did you decide to apply to our program?
- Where will you be in 10 years?
- You've a different background than many applicants. Describe your trajectory in deciding on emergency medicine.
- What have you been reading?
- What is Wunderkammern? (A hobby I listed on my application.)
- So! What do I need to know about you?
- Which of your letter writers do you admire the most?
- What questions about our program can I answer for you?
- How would you respond to (insert complicated ethical dilemma here)?
- What are you doing the rest of the year?
- What are your plans for the holidays?
- What courses are you enrolled in this year?
- Why emergency medicine?
- Where else are you interviewing?
- Why (insert city here)?
- What will your first book be about?
- How have you responded to a situation of personal conflict?
- What areas of emergency medicine need the most work?
- Do you want to go back to Seattle to practice EM?
- What do you do to relax?
Thursday, November 27, 2008
EM Interview Questions
There are a number of standard residency interview questions that candidates are asked in the interview circuit. A Google search will provide you with some stock questions you should be prepared to answer. For various reasons, I tend to take advice from those sites with a grain of salt. So here are some actual questions I've been asked on my emergency medicine residency interviews.