Sunday, October 19, 2008

Powell Endorses Obama

This entire segment on Meet the Press is worth watching, but I want to direct your attention to the part of his statement beginning at minute 4:27.



Right on, General Powell!

"What if he is?" and "Is there something wrong with a 7 year old Muslim-American kid who believes he or she could be President?"

These are the questions we SHOULD be talking about. And "Muslim-American" in that question should be interchangeable with atheist or agnostic or Hindu or Jewish...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that people listen to Powell.

Anonymous said...

I was initially critical of this last-minute chime in from Powell. I have been mulling over what he actually said, and particularly the passage you cite. Anyone who is willing to say this, right now, particularly in the wake of McCain's (unthinkingly?) bigoted response to "he's an Arab" with "no, he's a decent family man"....

I gotta back off Powell on this one. Great job General.

manganese said...

My comment is clearly a dollar short and a day late (plus a week or so) but I just thought I'd chime in that I agree that Powell's question "so what if he is" completely summed up everything that is wrong with the "Obama is a Muslim" smear. I'm so glad more people saw the flaw in that than didn't (or voted for other reasons).