Monday, August 04, 2008

In LA for an Exam

I'm typing this entry from a hotel in Los Angeles. A few days ago I was in Portland for a conference about issues in science and Christianity - more on that later.

Tomorrow I take an 8 hour clinical skills exam in which I interview (and am evaluated by) standardized patients who act as though they have diseases. For this opportunity to demonstrate my bedside manner and English proficiency, I get to pay about $1500. I'm sure I'll have more to say about that. My wife and I are taking the test at the same time, so at least we can split the hotel room!

We went for a walk around the neighborhood tonight - the test center is just across the street from a Raytheon plant. Yes, the same Raytheon that makes bombs and missiles. And there's a huge oil refinery in the other direction. Awesome...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That conference sounds like it should have provided some fertile grounds for a post at Clashing Culture.

I hope you do well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Thomas! Looking forward to seeing your remarks on the ASA conference. Hope your exam went well. Cheers!