Saturday, November 08, 2008

Fog Horns

It's a reset weekend.

After doing mostly 6AM to 2PM or midday shifts, my schedule necessitates my transitioning to an inverse circadian rhythm. After two days off, I have one 2PM to 10PM shift, and then five 10PM to 6AMs. Just like flying across country there are a couple of tricks for adjusting that I'm trying to follow. Today, I:
  • Slept until 9:00 AM
  • Plan to have a late breakfast
  • Am contemplating each toot of a distant foghorn
  • Will take a midday bike trip (via BART) to my parents in the East Bay
  • Plan to eat dinner as my second meal
  • Anticipate catching up on my writing late into the night
Tomorrow, I plan to:
  • Sleep in even later
  • Wait for the (forecasted) morning rain to cease before returning to San Francisco
  • Take an evening jog
  • Eat lunch, dinner and a late night snack
  • Study some topics in emergency medicine
  • Sleep from 1AM to 9AM (Monday)
Then I'll have to figure out where is the best place to sleep during the day...

A similar plan worked for me when I flipped from 12 hour day shifts to the converse while working at Harborview. Stay tuned for the outcome.

No comments: