Saturday, May 19, 2007

Mugging

The folks at the World's Fair blog are conducting a small survey of coffee mug culture. Here's to making it a slightly larger study! They asked:

1. Can you show us your coffee cup?
2. Can you comment on it? Do you think it reflects on your personality?
3. Do you have any interesting anecdotes resulting from coffee cup commentary?
4. Can you try to get others to comment on it?

My answers:

1. Yes

2. The mug was a gift from Ian Maki, the director of the Community Health Advancement Project (CHAP) and Student Providers Aspiring to Rural and underserved eXperiences (SPARX). The logo represents a now defunct health care outreach program for homeless youth in Seattle. I like the mug because it represents my interest and commitment to health care issues for homeless people. The context of the mug (only slightly staged, but it seems like others did some staging as well...) represents several of my interests. You have already noted that I have fruit juice in stead of coffee in my mug. That's along the lines of sacrilege in Seattle, but I'm okay with that.

3. Every so often I get to tell stories about homelessness and recruit someone to help out on a volunteer project.

4. Will you, kind reader, comment on my blog?

2 comments:

Janet D. Stemwedel said...

Are the orange thingies in the picture earplugs, or something else?

Did the project die a natural death (say, at the end of the duration for which it was hoped that it would be funded), or prematurely?

Is your fruit juice caffeinated? Do you have another source of caffeine? Or, do you have a secret to getting through the day without caffeine?

thomas robey said...

Thanks for your comments!

Definitely earplugs. If I need to concentrate, I prefer them over the now ubiquitous ipod earbuds found in most labs.

Unfortunately, a premature death... A new agency acquired the RV that housed the clinic from the hospital that administered it and opted not to continue staffing/paying for the insurance in favor of evening free clinics at brick and mortar offices. (That’s where I volunteer now.) It is possible that the carevan, as we called it will be back some day, but right now, it is mothballed.

No caffeine (although I used to spike it w/ Mtn Dew before I cared about calories). My secret to not needing caffeine is to remain active during the day: take the stairs, lunch walks, and stand as much as possible. That said, as soon as I am in a classroom or lecture hall and five minutes after the speaker dims the lights, I will take my obligatory 10 minute nap. Usually I can still follow the subject 15 mins in. If I really need to stay awake, I will break out the diet Coke.