Friday, May 05, 2006

Introductions

Dear Readers,

What you will find here in the next few months will be my ideas related to several interests that can be categorized as topics in science and society. These include:
  • Stem Cells - This is my current topic of research.
  • Religion and Science - I am both a scientist and religious: what does that mean?
  • Science as a Tool for Sustainability and Economic Development - The hope for Pandora.
  • Public Understanding of Science - Just who do they think scientists are?
  • History and Philosophy of Science - My way of figuring out what it means to be a scientist.
Some of you are familiar with the Forum on Science Ethics and Policy. Much of what I write has been influenced by my role in that organization. I would encourage you to check out the resources available on their website. Hope for Pandora is an opportunity for me to write my own ideas independent of my connection to FOSEP.

I have started this blog for several reasons. These include:

1. To generate a conversation about science and society.
2. To contribute interesting and meaningful content to the digital community.
3. To improve my own writing and argument skills.
4. To learn more about what others think about science.
5. To encourage scientists to think critically about how their work fits into society.

This is my first foray into blogging. It is inspired by the Prometheus Science Policy Blog and the ScienceBlogs which I recommend you peruse for interesting content. I want Hope for Pandora to focus on weighing opposite sides of a debate. The goal of consensus may be just out of reach, but a humble approach at the discussion table may land us closer. I look forward to any comments, ideas and critiques you have for me. I will be honored by your participation in this community.

No comments: